This post is contributed by One Drop member – Kaye Ng.
Its almost Spring time and that means flowers and pollen and the occasional AHH CHOOS! Lets talk a quick one on what Allergens are and the essential oils that can help to support the body’s natural system during this period of time.
An allergen is a substance that tricks the immune system — making it think that the allergen is an invader. The immune system then overreacts to the allergen, which is really a harmless substance, and produces antibodies. These antibodies travel to cells that release histamine and other chemicals, causing the allergic reaction.
The most common causes of a reaction include:
- Insect stings
- Animal dander
These allergens will trigger symptoms in the nose, throat, lungs, ears, sinuses and lining of the stomach or on the skin. The body responds in a certain way to an allergen because the immune system is in overdrive. When the body is already dealing with high inflammation, any allergen sets off an increased reaction. That means that when the body’s immune system is overworked and stressed, introducing an allergen sends the body into overreaction.
If the immune system and inflammation within the body was balanced, the reaction to the allergen would be normal; however, today these reactions are exaggerated and lead to the next unneeded allergic reaction.
This is why it is extremely important to support our body’s immune system. A healthy body will reduce the bodies susceptibility to outside sources and reduce the overreaction of the immune system when it is faced with a harmless intruder.
OILS WHICH YOU CAN USE
So lets jump into 5 basic oils which you can use to help your body natural defense against these allergens.
- Lavender Essential Oil Lavender essential oil will not only ease your allergic reaction, it has a calming and relaxing effect on body and mind, and smells great. Topically – Add 1 drop of lavender essential oil to your cheeks, forehead, and sinuses as needed to soothe allergic reactions or headaches. Before bed, add a few drops to the soles of your feet.
- Peppermint Essential Oil Peppermint essential oil has a strong, fresh, and minty aroma that works wonders to treat allergic reactions, especially those that cause respiratory or digestive issues.
- Lemon oil supports lymphatic system drainage and helps with overcoming respiratory conditions. Lemon essential oil works best in combination with lavender and peppermint.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oils improves circulation and reduces symptoms of allergies. Eucalyptus oil produces a cold sensation in the nose that helps to improve airflow. It is one of the best oils for supporting the respiratory system and it can also ease seasonal allergies. Eucalyptus oil is most effective when applied topically or when used as a steam inhalation.
- Tea tree essential oil can help support skin reactions and is also very helpful to keep unpleasant bugs from destroying your outdoor time.
So these are basic oils that can help support ur body in the face of allergens. 🙂 Let us know if you have other oils that help you!
If you are interested in trying out the Young Living oils, or would like to purchase any oils, do drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up to buy the products here.